1. The discovery of Cher’s twitter account. You guys, how did I not know that tweets like this have been happening since 2010? These days, she and Ringo Starr combined probably use more emojis than the collective rest of the internet.
Fair warning: Cher is also prone to explosive caps lock and the occasional angry political tweet.
2. “Foreign Object” – My current favorite song (and lyric: “I personally will stab you in the eye with a foreign object”), from the new Mountain Goats album Beat the Champ. Can’t wait for my third—and possibly fourth—Mountain Goats concert in June!
3. I recently watched Help! again, and what a good idea that was. It is just the silliest movie.
4. Fun updates from David Byrne: DB and friends went to a WGI (colorguard) show and then he blogged about it! A video update was also posted on Facebook (my thought process while watching the first 15 seconds: “Why is there only one person clapping OH MY GOD THAT PERSON IS DAVID BYRNE LOOK AT HIM HE’S SO HAPPY”).
5. Speaking of WGI (percussion), huge congrats to RCC for winning gold in Dayton! As always, a proud alum. <3 You can watch their finals show here.
Side note: the first time I heard the show name, I thought it was “Guardians of the Bread.” Which would be a whole different show entirely.
6. Other delightful things: it’s spring, taxes are over, and the weekend is near. Everyone deserves a pick-me-up!
I swear I’ll try to stop posting so many entries about RCC. If it suits you better, this entry can be about the Maori haka and jazz fusion instead, haha.
The video below basically explains what the haka is, but in case you didn’t know, it’s a war dance by the Maori people of New Zealand. In our show, the “opponent” was the totem. In the 1800s, Europeans came to New Zealand and the tribal culture suffered as a result. Our third movement was about the coming of Christianity (hence the crosses and the sacrifice). The fourth movement was the final acceptance of the totem and new life, etc. ANYWHO, dunno why I went into all that…this video is just a clip of the New Zealand rugby team doing a haka:
The real reason for this entry is below. I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS EXISTS:
Now onto some jazz fusion (where does Jim find this stuff??). Watch the first 20 seconds of this video:
Then this one to see our rendition (in my opinion, ours is way cooler):
Haha, Megan’s penguin dancing and Mikey’s cameo at the end make me laugh. I MISS THIS!!!
Also, Jolesch pics are up. Added some of my favorites to the end of the RCC album. Note: Hector and I don’t wear contacts, but we decided for the authenticity of the show we wouldn’t wear our glasses. It wasn’t a problem seeing visual cues or anything, but it was weird playing with such blurry vision, haha. And I didn’t get to see the audience reactions, which is always one of my favorite parts of performing. At least I could hear them!
Noteworthy: In observance of the date today, the Daily Bruin ran a front-page article on how to roll a joint. “Medicinal”, of course…haha.
And although this stuff usually goes in my other blog, I am plugging RCC everywhere, because I can’t stop watching our show and I already miss it SO SO SO MUCH.
I’ve uploaded a bunch to Facebook and Myspace, but my biggest collection of RCC pictures is on Picasa, including a bunch of other people’s pics. Looking at the pics from the beginning of the season, it seems like it was just yesterday. Where did the time go?? :(