Sooooo, I’ve watched Eight Days A Week twice in the past 24 hours and have a lot to say about the film itself, but while I put that together, here’s a drinking game.
One drink whenever:
- A photo is subtly “enhanced” with moving cigarette smoke
- Modern-day Ringo is seen wearing a peace sign
- George waves awkwardly
- The Beatles perform in a different country
- Brian Epstein looks fabulous
- Someone describes something as “mahhvelous,” “fab,” or “a laff”
- There’s a cheesy reference to the Beatles’ haircuts
- A girl faints (it was going to be whenever a girl screams, or cries, but that is literally the entire film)
- For any B&W footage that is obviously/painfully colorized
- Jimmie Nicol appears
- Paul admits to being high during the filming of Help!
- George Martin is directly referred to as a god
- John apologizes
- “GOOD OL FREDA!”
Disclaimer: It’s possibly more fun to come up with these than to actually play them (see also: TOS 1, TOS 2, and Pete Townshend’s autobiography). Really, all I’m trying to get you to do is watch the film.
Last week I finished Pete Townshend’s autobiography “Who I Am,” which was a long and entertaining read. While I was reading the book, I kept thinking how much great material there was for a Pete-themed drinking game (ironic, given a lot of the subject matter). For example,
Take a drink:
*Every time you come across the words “auto-destruction”, “Impressionism”, or “visaging”
*Any time Pete goes on a tangent about his childhood
*Whenever Roger wants to get The Who back together and Pete isn’t interested
*For every groupie that John has
*Whenever Keith does something ridiculous (“While I made progress with my search for meaning, Keith was causing havoc with a birthday cake, a car, a swimming pool, a lamp and a young fan’s bloody head”)
*Whenever Pete cheats on his wife but he has such nice things to say about the girl he cheated on her with that somehow it seems ok
*Every time you turn the page during the “Acknowledgements” section
Take two drinks:
*Every time Pete drinks Remy Martin
*Every time Pete “quits drinking”
*Any time you think for a second that you understand Lifehouse
*Any time Pete agrees to do something, then backs out, then agrees again
In all seriousness though, this was a great read. I’ve always wanted to get a glimpse into Pete’s head, since he’s such an unconventional rockstar, and this was probably the closest I’ll ever get.
I’ll leave you with a quote from the Coda:
Play to the gods, or – if you prefer – to a small basket full of stuffed toys, or sing into the mouth of a hot-water bottle, or turn the knobs on a chest of drawers and pretend to be 20,000 leagues under the sea.
It’s all the same thing. If in doubt, just play.