Oh my gosh, we were all so nervous for Artie when they starting singing this song (his voice is not so magnificent these days) but he nailed it! I love this version…Paul’s verse is great, AND THEN THE HARMONIES. I can barely handle it. And then Paul being so happy for Art at the end, AWWW.
[Side note: Do you think they consulted each other about their outfits that night? Did Art Garfunkel see Paul Simon in a blazer and say, “I think I’ll go with the Hawaiian shirt, then”?]
The whole thing made me realize that I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of watching S&G’s performance from that night. It is one of my favorite things of all things, a phrase that Lauren introduced me to on the drive down from the bay area.
It being the end of the year and all, I’ve had some time to ruminate on it lately, and wanted to share a few more of my Favorite Things of All Things. Such as…
- Epic key changes
- The fact that the Traveling Wilburys existed
- Summer of 2009
- OK Go music videos
- Crowd moments in drum corps (Vanguard yells, company fronts, etc.)
- The Golden Record on the Voyager 1 spacecraft
And since it’s the end of 2013, here are some of my Favorite Things of 2013:
- Shaun T’s facebook posts
- Modern Vampires of the City
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- That one time Diane Keaton replied to my tweet
- Tom Waits at the Bridge School Benefit Concert