Alright, I’m not afraid to admit it: my new obsession is Simon & Garfunkel (emphasis on the Simon). I spent much of last weekend watching The Concert in Central Park, rewinding and replaying, trying to figure out all the songs on guitar (if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that Paul Simon is alllll about the capo…he seriously uses a different one on almost every song). Anyway, it only made me love them even more, haha.
Note: In this photo, doesn’t Art Garfunkel look like he stepped out of an Urban Outfitters catalogue?? Wearing plaid before plaid was cool. :P Paul, on the other hand, just looks like some kind of sorcerer…
Oddly enough, I think I liked Simon & Garfunkel before I liked the Beatles and everything else 60s. Or at least, I have fond middle school memories of me and my friends having singalongs, wondering just what it was Mrs. Robinson was hiding in the pantry (and who keeps cupcakes there anyway??).
Reasons I like S&G, or, Reasons to Post a Lot of Pictures:
– They started out like this:
– The 2-part harmonies in their songs are UNREAL
– The height difference. It’s cute. :)
– Art Garfunkel has kept a list of every single book he’s read since 1968. He has also crossed the entire United States by foot.
– All the New York imagery in their songs
– Paul Simon’s SNL appearances (most famously the turkey skit, but personally I am a big fan of this one)
– Everything about the Concert in Central Park
– The fact that Art Garfunkel was in a movie with Jack Nicholson. And the fact that it was called Carnal Knowledge.
– Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints – an ethnomusicologist’s dream!!
– They had their falling outs but they’re really BFFs at heart:
Haha so in case you haven’t figured it out, I don’t just fall in love with music, I fall in love with the people who make it. That’s basically the whole reason behind this blog, so don’t be surprised when I’m posting fangirly swoonings instead of reviews and musical analyses. I’ll save that stuff for school, thank you very much. Be prepared for more S&G posts in the near future…!